Tuesday, September 22, 2026

Eight Values of Free Expression: The Most Impactful to Me

 

Our first amendment right.

The First Amendment has played a crucial role in our  society since the founding of the United States. There are eight theories that scholars use to describe why freedom of expression is so important to us as Americans.

The theory that is most impactful to me is "Individual Self-Fulfillment," also known as "Self-Actualization."

This theory states, "Free speech enables individuals to express themselves and thereby create their own identity-- and, in the process perhaps, find kindred spirits. Freedom of speech thus becomes an aspect of human dignity, human agency and autonomy."

Being able to freely express myself is something I would never take for granted. There are so many places around the world that do not share this same value, so I am grateful that I am in a place that does.

Afghan women under "morality law."

Often when I looks at news sites, or I see news pop up on my social media, I see articles about the restrictions women in Afghanistan face. They do not have the ability to freely express themselves.

The Taliban restricts women from traveling without a male "guardian," and visiting public areas such as parks and gyms. It also requires that they cover their bodies, faces, and conceal their voices in public under the "morality law." 

The ability to learn and choose what you want to study is also a part of free expression. Although it is not something that is often recognized as free expression, not everyone has access to the same educational resources. For example, I chosee to attend High Point University, and chose to study Social Media and Digital Communications, so that I can get a job in that field one day.

The Taliban has also restricted women and young girls from attending school. If they would like to seek education, they mostly rely on "secret" schools to be able to do that.

Education is something that I think is often taken for granted, especially because we live in a place where it is something we "have to" do. 

When I see news articles describing the conditions these women live in, my heart hurts for them. It also makes me feel grateful that I live in a place that does not put such restrictions on women.

Another reason that this value of "individual self-fulfillment" is so important to me is because I love being able to express myself through movement.

A photo of me dancing, 2025.
I have grown up as a dancer, and I have always used dance as my escape from reality. It has become my creative outlet to express my emotions.

Without the ability to freely express myself through dance, I wouldn't have beccome the person I am today. Dance is my safe place and a part of my identity.

I am on the dance team here at High Point University. Not only do I get do do what I love, I also get the chance to study what I choose so that I when I graduate, I will be set on a path to have the career that I want.

The freedom to choose what I want to do, say, and what I hope to become is a freedom that I will never take for granted.

The theory of "Individual Self-Fulfillment" or "Self-Actualization" is a value that I hope others to also to appreciate more.

No comments:

Post a Comment