
Before watching this documentary, I knew the Supreme Court was important, but I did not fully understand what makes it different from the lower courts. The video gave me a better appreciation for how the Court works and why its role is so significant.
One of the first things I learned is that the Court is made up of nine justices who are nominated by the president. Their responsibility is to interpret the Constitution by safeguarding liberty, preserving the Union, and upholding the rule of law.
I was interested to learn about the lasting impact of Marbury v. Madison. According to the documentary, Chief Justice John Marshall established the principle of judicial review, which remains one of the Court's most important powers.
The most surprising fact to me was that the Supreme Court accepts only about 100 cases each year. Lower courts petition the Court to hear their cases, but only a small number are ultimately selected.
Another detail that stood out was that every case receives equal consideration. Whether a case comes from a state court or from someone currently in a jail cell, it is evaluated on its merits. I found that especially interesting.
I also learned that the justices begin each meeting by shaking hands. It is a simple tradition, but I liked hearing about it because it reflects a sense of respect despite differing opinions.
The Court cannot simply choose topics it wants to discuss. Instead, it must decide the cases that come before it.
Supreme Court proceedings are conducted in public, and lawyers on each side are given 30 minutes to present oral arguments. These arguments give the justices an opportunity to ask difficult questions and test the positions presented in the written briefs.
After the arguments, the justices meet privately to vote. If a decision is reached, a justice on the majority side writes an opinion explaining the legal reasoning behind the ruling.
The documentary emphasized that writing the opinions is often the hardest part because those decisions guide other courts. These opinions can take months to complete, and that was my biggest takeaway. The justices do not make decisions lightly. They take the time to think through the consequences before releasing their rulings at the end of the Court's term in June.
AI Disclosure: I used Microsoft Copilot to help organize and redefine my notes based on the research I have done.
No comments:
Post a Comment